The Roaring 1920’s
Hammond Hand Pump
Gilbert & Barker T8
As motoring became more affordable more and more filling stations were springing up around the country. In the cities these would be purpose built modernist affairs whilst in provincial towns they were more modes. In the countryside it could be a different matter, many were little more than shacks that had a couple of pumps out the front with a plethora of enamel signs advertising the business and products. Although nowadays these are seen as quaint and are very collectable the Campaign for Rural England saw them as an affront to the landscape and tried to have their numbers curtailed.
Many of the pumps were leased from the petrol companies who then would control what was sold although sometimes the pump could be bought on Hire Purchase or even purchased outright, allowing the proprietor the freedom to sell whichever brand he liked. As most fuel companies only offered the one grade it was common to see several different brands on the same forecourt.
As an aside; Road Fund Tax was introduced in 1921, the revenue collected was solely used to pay for the improvement of Britain’s road network.