Pre 1920

History

It is generally believed one of the first petrol pumps to be used in Great Britain was the American made Gilbert & Barker T8, these were shipped over by the Anglo American Oil Company which traded under the name Pratt’s Perfection Spirit. This was shortly before World War One, during the conflict private motoring was banned.

The Gilbert & Barker T8 was a well-made pump that earned the nickname “The Fat Lady”, in fact it was so well made many were still being used in farm yards well into the 1970s. Another pump of the time was the Bowser “Red Sentry” as its name implied these were usually painted red and were a common site at the filling station or kerbside.